Want to know about R&D Management but too busy to read all the journals? The editors for R&D Today have each selected a journal and have made a selection of the most interesting papers of recent years.
Dr Rob Phaal, Principal Research Associate for the Department of Engineering at University of Cambridge, has chosen Research-Technology Management, the journal of the Innovation Research Interchange , and it publishes articles that connect theory to practice in innovation management.
He has selected 20 papers that provide ‘a nice set of industrially oriented perspectives’.
We will be publishing short reviews of these papers over the coming months.
- Mastering the Transition to Product-Service Provision: Insights into Business Models, Learning Activities, and Capabilities -Parida, Sjödin, Wincent, and Kohtamäki (2014)
- What’s Next? After Stage-Gate – Cooper (2014)
- Innovation Strategies for Creating Competitive Advantage– Bowonder, Dambal, Kumar, and Shirodkar (2010)
- How Innovation Management Techniques Support an Open Innovation Strategy – Igartua, Garrigós, and Hervas-Oliver (2010)
- From Cost to Frugal and Reverse Innovation: Mapping the Field and Implications for Global Competitiveness – Zeschky, Winterhalter, and Gassmann (2014)
- A Fad or a Phenomenon? The Adoption of Open Innovation Practices in Large Firms – Chesbrough and Brunswicker (2014)
- How Companies Are Reinventing Their Idea-To-Launch Methodologies – Cooper (2009)
- Accessing Supplier Innovation by Being Their Preferred Customer – Schiele (2012)
- Customer-Driven Innovation – Desouza, Awazu, Jha, Dombrowski, Papagari, Baloh, and Kim (2008)
- Building Collaborative Innovation Capability – Swink (2006)
Most prolific practitioner
- Paul Germeraad
- Alan R. Fusfeld
- Roger Smith
- Lawrence Schwartz
- John Tao
- F. Peter Boer
- Nabil Sakkab
- Matthew W. Sagal
- Robin A. Karol
- Edward Humme
Rick Mitchell, Visiting Professor of Innovation Management for the School of Management at Cranfield University, recommends this paper about a topical subject
- The Right Way to Lead Design Thinking: How to help project teams overcome the inevitable inefficiencies, uncertainties and emotional flare-ups. Christian Bason and Robert.D. Austin.
Clare Farrukh, senior Research Associate of Technology Management at IfM has reviewed these two papers from Technology Forecasting and Social Change.
- Technology roadmapping – a framework for evolution and revolution Phaal, Farrukh and Probert, 2004,
- Key principles for developing industrially relevant strategic technology management toolkits Kerr, Farrukh, Phaal and Probert, 2013,
Phil Kennedy,Visiting Professor, Queen Mary University of London, School of Engineering and Materials Science recommends these two papers
- Persuasion in Corporate Idea Contests: The Moderating Role of Content Scarcity on Decision-Making Tobias Kruft , Christoph Tilsner, Andreas Schindler, and Alexander Kock
- How Individuals Engage in the Absorption of New External Knowledge: A Process Model of Absorptive Capacity David Sjödin , Johan Frishammar, and Sara Thorgren
Imoh Ilevbare, Product Manager at IfM recommends the following papers from Technovation
- Effective use of 3D printing in the innovation process (Open access), by Marian Candi & Ahmad Beltagui; March 2019
- Innovation indicators throughout the innovation process: an extensive literature analysis (Open access), by Marisa Dziallas and Knut Blind; March 2019
- Stage-gate process for life sciences and medical innovation investment (Open access), by Luis R. Soenksen & Youseph Yazdi; April 2017
- Barriers to innovation through public procurement: a supplier perspective (Open access), by Elvira Uyarra et al; October 2014
- Open innovation in SMEs: Trends, motives and management challenges (open access); by van de Vrande et al; July 2009
The technology and innovation consultancies also produce interesting papers and Steve Bone has reviewed a few interesting ones.
The Case for R&D Digitalization in Chemicals is a paper produced by Accenture.
Accelerating product development: The tools you need now – by Mickael Brossard in McKinsey Quarterly, June 2018
Breaking the mold – using the power of convergence to accelerate growth, Dr. Michael Kolk, Koji Uchida, Marc de Pater; published in Arthur D Little, Prism Newsletter September 2019.